ISSUE: Richmond Park   - High Court forces RPA to U turn


Robin Hood Gate to stay open while parks bosses agree to reconsider closure plan

Richmond Park's Robin Hood Gate will stay open while the Royal Parks Agency (RPA) reconsiders its closure plans.
The RPA was forced to act after the council issued judicial review proceedings in the High Court.

The council argued successfully that parks officials had not consulted lawfully on the proposal to close the gate to traffic and that the effects of added congestion in Roehampton had not been considered.

The RPA must now re-examine all the options and consult on these with an open mind - taking into account all relevant material before reaching a new decision.

The RPA has said it will consult with the three boroughs affected (Wandsworth, Kingston and Richmond) and Transport for London which is responsible for the A3 (Roehampton Vale).

Local people fear that shutting off access to the gate will force town-bound commuters to rat-run through Alton Road as a means of avoiding the queues at the junction of Roehampton Lane with Roehampton Vale. This could lead to an extra 700 vehicles an hour at peak times.

RPA - Ricmond Park Traffic Management Report

Council launches judicial review of Richmond Park gate closure

The RPA puts gate closure on hold until meeting with Council.

Comments from the Forum

Council concerns for residents should Robin Hood Gate be closed.

Change to RPA status fuels concerns over future access to Richmond Park.

Details of the Proposals made by the Friends of Richmond Park

More arguements against closure of the gates

The RPA response to the issue

Peter Duffy argues against the plans for restricting traffic in Richmond Park


Do you have a  view on the Richmond Park? Use our pages to express yourself! E-mail to editor@
or contribute to our forum

This site is an open platform for all points of view on local issues - we hope to have an article on the case for closure soon.

The articles on this site are contributed by local people.

If you want to contact your local councillor on this issue and are not sure how - click here