ISSUE: Phone Masts
Long Running Saga of the O2 mast draws to an end
A mobile phone mast which was the subject of a long running legal
battle is to come down after a high court judge ruled earlier
this year that the council was right to order its removal.
mast had originally been built without planning permission because
the council had been told it would be lower than 15 metres but
subsequently confirmed that the height for planning purposes was
over the 15 metre limit.
people had objected to the mast which was erected opposite their
houses in Roehampton Lane. The council told the company - telecommunications
giants O2 - in January 2001 that the installation had to be either
reduced in height or removed.
the company will take down the mast which stands on the eastern
boundary of the Rosslyn Park site. Instead
they will erect replacement antennae on a new structure alongside
the rugby pitch - 120 metres away from the junction with Roehampton
Lane and Upper Richmond Road.
new mast will be erected on the same site as the current floodlighting
pole and will be of a similar design to the existing structure.
It will include both antennae and floodlighting. Permission for the replacement installation was granted last night
by the council's planning applications committee (September 18).
applications chairman Ravi Govindia said:
outcome is the best possible for the residents in Roehampton Lane.
The new pole is sited well away from their homes and doubles up
as floodlighting for the rugby ground.
council fought a long battle to get the original mast removed.
The eventual decision was an important one in planning law where
there is little protection for the resident concerned about the
impact of mobile phone masts."
Court Judge believes the Rosslyn Park 02 mast should be removed.
4 phone masts turned down 21.03.02
regarding two planning proposals
technical reports required re Egliston Lawns proposal
residents comment on the Orange Transmitter