Unattended Cooking Blamed for Putney Hill Fire

Woman required medical attention after blaze in fourth floor flat

Fire Brigade says turn off the heat if you are out of the kitchen. Picture: London Fire Brigade


Child Treated for Smoke Inhalation at Cortis Road Fire

Firefighters Save Cat From Blaze in Roehampton

Sign up for our weekly Putney newsletter

Comment on this story on the

London Fire Brigade have advised people to take extra precautions while cooking after a fire took hold of a flat on Putney Hill this Tuesday afternoon.

Four fire engines and around 25 firefighters were called to the scene at 1.03pm. Fire crews from Wandsworth, Battersea and Hammersmith fire stations attended.

Part of the kitchen of a fourth-floor flat was damaged by the fire which was under control within an hour. One woman left the property before the Brigade arrived and was treated on scene by London Ambulance Service crews.

The fire is believed to have been caused by cooking that was left unattended.

Sub Officer Matthew Mayes, who was at the scene, said: “Crews worked incredibly quickly to access the property and bring the fire under control and stop it from spreading to other flats.

“The fire started after cooking was left unattended and spread into the extractor fan.

“Cooking should never be left unattended on the hob or grill - if you have to leave the kitchen, turn off the heat.”

The Fire Bridge recommend the following practical steps for safer cooking:
• Don’t leave cooking unattended on the hob or grill – if you have to leave the kitchen, turn off the heat.
• Take extra care when cooking with hot oil as it can easily overheat and catch fire.
• Never fill a pan more than one third full of fat or oil.
• Make sure food is dry before putting it in hot oil – oil and water are a dangerous mix.
• If the oil starts to smoke, it’s too hot. Turn off the heat and leave it to cool.
• Not feeling 100%? Order a takeaway – if you're very tired, have been drinking alcohol or are taking medication that might make you drowsy, it's safer not to risk it.
• Be fabric aware – loose clothing can easily catch fire, so take care not to lean over a hot hob, and always keep tea towels and cloths away from the cooker and hob.


Like Reading Articles Like This? Help Us Produce More

This site remains committed to providing local community news and public interest journalism.

Articles such as the one above are integral to what we do. We aim to feature as much as possible on local societies, charities based in the area, fundraising efforts by residents, community-based initiatives and even helping people find missing pets.

We've always done that and won't be changing, in fact we'd like to do more.

However, the readership that these stories generates is often below that needed to cover the cost of producing them. Our financial resources are limited and the local media environment is intensely competitive so there is a constraint on what we can do.

We are therefore asking our readers to consider offering financial support to these efforts. Any money given will help support community and public interest news and the expansion of our coverage in this area.

A suggested monthly payment is £8 but we would be grateful for any amount for instance if you think this site offers the equivalent value of a subscription to a daily printed newspaper you may wish to consider £20 per month. If neither of these amounts is suitable for you then contact info@neighbournet.com and we can set up an alternative. All payments are made through a secure web site.

One-off donations are also appreciated. Choose The Amount You Wish To Contribute.

If you do support us in this way we'd be interested to hear what kind of articles you would like to see more of on the site – send your suggestions to the editor.

For businesses we offer the chance to be a corporate sponsor of community content on the site. For £30 plus VAT per month you will be the designated sponsor of at least one article a month with your logo appearing if supplied. If there is a specific community group or initiative you'd like to support we can make sure your sponsorship is featured on related content for a one off payment of £50 plus VAT. All payments are made through a secure web site.

March 24, 2021

Bookmark and Share