Firefighters Save Cat From Blaze in Roehampton

Fire in Highcliffe drive started by sunlight reflecting off mirror


Fire Breaks Out at RSPCA Putney Animal Hospital

Sign up for our weekly Putney newsletter

Comment on this story on the

Minx the cat was rescued by firefighters from a maisonette in Roehampton after a fire broke out this Thursday (18 January).

London Fire Brigade believe that the blaze in Highcliffe Drive was set off by sunlight reflecting off a make-up mirror. Half of the five-roomed maisonette on the seventh and eighth floors of the building was damaged by fire. Minx was rescued by crews wearing breathing apparatus. The mirror is believed to have reflected light onto a lampshade which then caught alight with the fire reaching a bed.

The blaze has prompted a warning from firefighters who are reminding Londoners to keep glass ornaments and mirrors out of direct sunlight.

A London Fire Brigade spokesperson said: “These sorts of incidents are not as rare as you would think.

“Our crews have seen everything from sparkly doorknobs and crystal balls to glass fish bowls and food jars containing crystals starting fires.

“We would advise people to keep items such as crystals, glass ornaments and shaving mirrors out of direct sunlight.

“It is also vital to have working smoke alarms throughout your home.

“Fires can start in any room and homes need multiple smoke alarms which should be tested regularly. They should be fitted in your hallways and landings and in any room where you smoke, use candles, incense sticks or portable heaters and leave electrical equipment on or on charge, such as satellite boxes, heaters, computers and mobile phones.

“A heat alarm should also be installed in your kitchen.”

The Brigade was called at 12.54pm and the fire was under control just over an hour later. Five fire engines and 31 firefighters and officers from Wandsworth, Richmond, Fulham, Hammersmith and Battersea fire stations attended the scene.



January 19, 2018

Bookmark and Share