On 12 th February 2009 at Kingston Crown Court, 19 year old Kevin Ferris pictured right from Cortis Road was sentenced to four years in custody for an attempted robbery and two counts of theft that took place at a Newsagents in Charlwood Road SW15 in July 2008. The sentencing also took into account two counts of breaches of a suspended sentence, which had previously been issued.
After submitting an application, officers from West Putney Safer Neighbourhoods Team in partnership with Wandsworth Council’s Anti-Social Behaviour Unit also managed to successfully secure a seven-year Anti-Social Behaviour Order for Kevin Ferris lasting until the year 2016. This came about as a result of a catalogue of incidents relating to anti-social behaviour in and around the Ashburton Estate in Putney.
The behaviour included intimidation of vulnerable residents, violence, threats of violence, theft, criminal damage and motor vehicle interference.
Sgt Eric Ostrowski of West Putney Safer Neighbourhoods Team said
‘Kevin Ferris is now suffering the consequences of his actions. This ASBO is proof that residents are successfully stopping unacceptable behaviour by working with the council and the local police Safer Neighbourhoods Teams. By getting involved and reporting anti-social behaviour, people will be helping to make life safer for their families as well as improving their local community.’
The council's spokesman on community safety Cllr James Cousins said:
"The court heard an appalling catalogue of thuggish and disgraceful behaviour on the part of Mr Ferris. I am sure residents on the estate will be breathing a deep sigh of relief that he has now been taken off the streets for the foreseeable future.
"Whenever he does get released from prison, the existence of the Asbo means that any return to his anti-social and brutish behaviour will almost certainly land him back behind bars. And if any of his stooges on the estate are tempted to step into his shoes and follow in his footsteps, they too can look forward to a similar fate."
Kevin Ferris is prohibited anywhere within England and Wales from:
- Behaving in a manner causing or likely to cause harassment, alarm or distress to any person or persons not of the same household as himself.
- Threatening any person with violence and / or being verbally abusive or offensive towards any person or persons not of the same household as himself.
- Being present in a group of two or more people in a public place, threatening or causing harassment, alarm or distress to any person or persons not of the same household as himself.
- Sitting on, standing on, pushing, pulling or driving/riding any car, mechanically propelled ‘Go-Ped’ (Micro Scooter), moped, quad-bike, tricycle or motorcycle on any public or pedestrian footpaths or roads.
- Urging or encouraging others to commit any act prohibited by this order.
- He is also excluded from the children’s play areas within the Ashburton Estate.