Three Adults and a Child Rescued from Putney Flat Fire

Fire Brigade recommend smoke alarms after Carmalt Gardens blaze

Sign up for our weekly Putney newsletter

Comment on this story on the

Firefighters rescued a man, two women and a child from a fire at a house converted into flats on Carmalt Gardens in Putney, this Sunday morning (16th November).

Crews wearing breathing apparatus helped a man and woman from the second floor and a woman and child from the first floor, from the building. The man and a woman were taken to hospital by the London Ambulance Service.

There was no working smoke alarm in the property and part of the ground floor was damaged by fire.

A London Fire Brigade spokesperson said: “These residents were lucky to escape the fire as they did not have a working smoke alarm in the property. We recommend having a working smoke alarm on each level of your home and testing it regularly.

"Smoke alarms save lives as they give you an early warning and buy you precious seconds to escape if a fire does break out.”

Fire engines from Fulham and Wandsworth fire stations attended the incident.

The Brigade was called at 9.04am and the fire was brought under control at just over an hour later. The fire is believed to have been caused by an electrical fault.


November 17, 2014