Sign up for an email newsletter from:
As many as 10,000 mobile phones are stolen every month. Two thirds of the victims are aged between 13 and 16. Many phones are also stolen from unattended cars. Here are some practical measures you can take to keep your mobile phone safe.
* to register your mobile phone at www.immobilise.com
* keep your phone out of sight in your pocket or handbag when not in use
* use your phone's security lock code, if it has one
* record details of your electronic serial number (ESN) and consider separate insurance
some phones have an IMEI number which is a unique identifier for the phone; you can obtain this number by typing *#06# (star hash 06 hash) into your mobile phone and it will display a 15 digit number
* property mark your phone with your postcode and door number to help police identify stolen ones
* report a lost or stolen phone to the police immediately
* inform your service provider if your phone is stolen or lost
* attract attention to your phone when you are carrying or using it in the street
park in isolated or dark areas
* leave your phone in an unattended car - if you must, lock it out of sight. It only takes seconds for a thief to smash a window and steal your phone.
By taking these simple precautions, you can protect your phone.
October 11, 2011