|Wandsworth Council hosts free sporting events|
to promote London's Olympic Games bid
The free sporting sessions will be held at various locations across the borough on Wednesday, June 1 including Putney Leisure Centre. There will be a range of activities for children and adults.
People are now being urged to book their places, as spaces are limited and must be booked in advance. The events include:
Elsewhere in the borough you can;
• Play Ball – an introduction to sports for children aged three to six-years-old at Tooting leisure centre between 11am and 2pm. To book a place telephone Vicki on (020) 8871 6373.
• Free tennis coaching sessions for all the family at the Millennium Arena in Battersea Park. To reserve places please call (020) 8871 7537.
• Mini Olympics - Junior Gym at Tooting Leisure Centre. Free two hour session for children aged 11 and over. Telephone the gym team on (020) 8333 7555 for details and to book your place.
• Tai Chi for the over-50s, including chair – based exercises, at Battersea Park's Millennium Arena. To book a place telephone (020) 8871 7537.
• Long jump, high jump, running and more at Tooting Bec athletics track for the over 10s. All abilities welcome. For more information and to reserve a place call Julia on (020) 8871 6741.
The council believes that the borough stands to benefit hugely if London's Olympic bid is successful and is doing all it can to lend its support. As well as employment opportunities, they say the 2012 games would provide additional investment to improve London’s public transport system.
The borough is also hoping to play host to up to three Olympic teams, perhaps in conjunction with other boroughs. This will involve providing training facilities and could bring in more than one million pounds of inward investment.
Possible training sites for these teams include the athletics tracks at Battersea Park and Tooting, rowing at Putney or Barn Elms and numerous football, hockey and other sports pitches, courts and other surfaces.
May 27, 2005