Justine Greening MP for Putney write to Putney

Licensing & Transport for London...


Justine's last diary

Sign up for our free weekly newsletter

Comment on any aspects of the diary on the

Contact Justine Greening

Hello again!

Licensing Act – Live near a pub, bar, takeaway or restaurant? Read on!

One of the things I’m discovering as MP is that there’s rarely a dull moment and one of the biggest local issues over the past fortnight has been the Licensing Act and some of the licensing applications made by local pubs and bars. Many of the applications have caused real concern with nearby residents who have been in touch with me.

Earlier this week I met with the Chief Executive of Youngs Brewery and his senior management team to talk about local concerns and hear about how they plan to handle them. We had a productive meeting and in relation to the Green Man pub, I’ll be writing directly to concerned residents who got in touch with me with a full update over the next week. I can confirm already that there are no longer proposals for permission to have music/entertainment outside in the Green Man beer garden which should allay some of the greatest concerns.

All the licensing applications are being considered over the next 4 weeks by Wandsworth Borough Council. If you have a pub, bar, restaurant or takeaway nearby you and you want to know what hours it has applied for, then go and have a look in the window as they have to display a summary of the application submitted. If you have concerns, then make sure you have your say. Write or email the licensing team at Wandsworth Borough Council and also let me know by emailing me on greeningj@parliament.uk. I’d also urge you to write to the pub/bar operators because they may well amend their proposals once they realise how great local concerns are.

Transport for London

Earlier this week I had a long meeting with TfL about local transport issues – from the District Line, to the Routemaster buses, congestion in Roehampton.

One issue I did urge them to look at is to give commuters better advice regarding what to do if we have further terrorist alerts or incidents - from telling people to find a TV and wait for a public service announcement so they get information, to advising being prepared in advance if we have to make their own way home from work, we need some standard guidance to follow.

What about TfL giving black cab drivers guidelines, if it’s possible, to have a full cab of passengers travelling in the same direction rather than just one fare as normal and as happened on 7th July?

I’m not an expert, but I’m sure there’s some common sense advice that we could be getting – for example, it’s a long way back to Putney (!) – so know your route, have trainers at the office, etc or agree with a friend who lives in town you can stay there – whatever, work it out already. Sometimes the simplest advice can be the most useful and at least it would be one less thing to worry about when these situations tragically occur.

Anyhow, it you ever have any local issues or national issues and need to get in touch, the email me on greeningj@parliament.uk, or write to me at House of Commons, London SW1A 0AA, or phone me on 0207 2198300 (Commons) / 0208 944 0378 (Constituency – for surgery appointments).

Best Wishes,

Justine Greening MP
Putney, Roehampton & Southfields

August 12, 2005